Root Canal Therapy in Charlotte, NC
Painless and Gentle Root Canal Treatment
Root canal therapy, a dental procedure often surrounded by myths and misconceptions, plays a crucial role in preserving teeth and alleviating pain. In Charlotte, NC, patients seeking effective and expert root canal therapy can rely on the skill and experience of Dr. Steven Yang at Capstone Dental. With a commitment to patient care and oral health, Dr. Yang offers a comprehensive approach to root canal therapy that ensures long-lasting results.
What is Root Coot Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy, also known as endodontic treatment, is a restorative dental procedure aimed at saving a severely damaged or infected tooth. This procedure involves the removal of the infected pulp (the innermost part of the tooth) and the cleaning, shaping, and sealing of the tooth’s interior. Despite its reputation, root canal therapy is a crucial and effective way to preserve a tooth that might otherwise need extraction.
Benefits of Root Canal Therapy
Root canal therapy offers several significant benefits:
- Pain Relief: It alleviates the severe pain often associated with an infected tooth.
- Preservation of Natural Tooth: The procedure allows you to keep your natural tooth, maintaining proper oral function and appearance.
- Prevents Infection Spread: Removing infected pulp prevents the infection from spreading to surrounding teeth.
- Efficient Chewing: A treated tooth functions like a healthy tooth, allowing you to chew comfortably.
- Aesthetic Enhancement: Root canal therapy restores the appearance of the affected tooth, enhancing your smile.
When Is Root Canal Therapy Necessary?
- Deep Tooth Decay: Untreated cavities can extend deep into the tooth, reaching the pulp.
- Cracks or Chips: Trauma or fractures can expose the pulp, leading to infection.
- Repeated Dental Procedures: Multiple dental procedures on a tooth can weaken it and cause pulp damage.
- Dental Abscess: An abscess can form at the tooth’s root, necessitating immediate treatment.
If you suspect your tooth is infected, schedule an appointment with Dr. Yang. Untreated infections can spread to other parts of the body and may result in serious conditions. Our skilled dentists can save your tooth with root canal treatment and prevent further damage.
The Root Canal Therapy Process
Diagnosis and Examination
The journey of root canal therapy begins with a comprehensive examination by Dr. Yang at Capstone Dental. Through visual inspection and potentially X-rays, Dr. Yang will assess the extent of the infection.
Local Anesthesia and Sedation
To ensure your comfort during the procedure, a local anesthetic will be administered. This numbs the affected tooth and the surrounding area, ensuring you won’t feel any pain during the treatment. Dr. Yang can also administer your preference for dental sedation.
Once the area is numb, he’ll create a small access opening on the crown of the affected tooth. This opening provides the necessary access to the pulp chamber and root canals.
Removal of Infected Pulp
Using specialized tools, Dr. Yang skillfully removes the infected or damaged pulp from the pulp chamber and root canals. This step is essential to eliminate the source of infection and prevent its spread.
Cleaning and Shaping
After the infected pulp is removed, the tooth’s interior is meticulously cleaned and shaped. This step ensures that no traces of infection or debris remain in the canals. The cleaned canals are then filled with a biocompatible material, typically gutta-percha. This material seals the canals, preventing any future infection from developing.
Sealing and Restoration
The access opening that was created earlier is sealed with a temporary or permanent filling. In many cases, to restore the tooth’s strength and function, a dental crown is placed over it. This crown is custom-made to match the color and shape of your natural teeth.
Recovery and Aftercare
After the procedure, there might be some mild discomfort or sensitivity, which is normal and can be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers. Dr. Yang will provide aftercare instructions to ensure proper healing and minimal complications.