Emergency Dentistry Services in Charlotte, NC
Prompt Dental Care in Emergency Situations
When a dental emergency strikes, you need immediate care from a trusted professional. That’s where Capstone Dental with Dr. Steven Yang comes in. We understand that dental issues can happen at any time, and our team is dedicated to providing the best emergency dentistry services in Charlotte, NC.
If you’re experiencing a dental emergency, call our office at 980-202-5696 to schedule an emergency dental appointment.
What is Emergency Dentistry?
Emergency dentistry involves immediate dental care and treatment to address urgent oral health issues. These services are essential for situations where dental problems require immediate attention to relieve pain, prevent further complications, and save teeth.
What Constitutes a Dental Emergency?
A dental emergency is a situation that requires immediate dental care to alleviate severe pain, prevent infection, or save a tooth. Some common dental emergencies include:
- Severe Toothache: An intense and persistent toothache can indicate an underlying issue, such as an infection or abscess, requiring immediate attention. This may be due to a cracked tooth. Seek help for any dental pain.
- Knocked-Out Tooth: If a tooth is knocked out due to an accident or injury, see a dentist within the first hour to increase the chances of saving the tooth.
- Cracked or Broken Tooth: A fractured or broken tooth can expose the sensitive inner layers, leading to pain and potential infection. Immediate treatment is necessary.
- Lost Dental Filling or Crown: Losing a filling or dental crown can leave the affected tooth vulnerable to damage. Prompt replacement is essential to protect the tooth.
- Oral Infections and Abscesses: Swollen gums, facial swelling, and the presence of pus may indicate an oral infection or abscess that requires immediate drainage and treatment.
- Bleeding Gums or Oral Trauma: Uncontrolled bleeding from the mouth, whether from trauma or dental surgery, should be addressed urgently to prevent complications.
Emergency Dental Treatments
Immediate Pain Relief
One of the primary goals of emergency dental treatments is to provide immediate pain relief. Dental professionals may use pain-relieving medications or procedures like root canals to alleviate severe discomfort and ensure patient comfort.
In cases where a tooth has been knocked out due to an accident or injury, Dr. Yang can attempt to reattach the tooth if the patient seeks treatment promptly. Quick action increases the likelihood of successful reattachment.
For those with cracked or broken teeth, dental bonding is a common emergency treatment. Dental bonding involves the application of a tooth-colored resin to repair and restore the appearance and function of damaged teeth.
Antibiotics for Infections
In situations involving oral infections or abscesses, dentists may prescribe antibiotics to control the spread of bacteria and prevent the infection from worsening. Antibiotics are a crucial component of emergency dental care.
In some cases, a tooth may be severely damaged or decayed, and saving it is no longer possible. In such instances, tooth extractions may be necessary to prevent further complications and protect the patient’s oral health.
Temporary Fillings and Crowns
In situations where patients have lost dental fillings or crowns, dentists can provide temporary replacements to protect the affected teeth until a permanent solution can be implemented. This prevents further damage or sensitivity.
Emergency Root Canal Therapy
When a dental emergency involves severe infection or decay that has reached the tooth’s pulp, emergency root canal therapy may be performed. This procedure helps to remove the infected tissue, alleviate pain, and save the tooth.
Management of Bleeding Gums
Uncontrolled bleeding from the gums, whether from trauma or dental surgery, is a dental emergency. Dental professionals will take immediate steps to control the bleeding and address the underlying issue.